Join us in supporting responsible breeders and giving the American public access to acquiring happy, healthy puppies. The American Kennel Club has created the Join With the AKC to Protect Responsible Small Breeders petition in response to the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) new proposed regulations which would create harsh and unintended consequences for responsible small and hobby breeders in this country.
Under the proposed regulations, breeders or others who sell a puppy sight unseen, by any means including online, by mail or by telephone, would now be regulated in accordance with USDA standards, if you own more than four "breeding females" of any of the listed species, including dogs and cats. The effect of these proposed regulations would be to take away the public's opportunity to obtain puppies from those breeders, who in many cases have dedicated their lives to breeding for health, breed type and temperament.
Please join us by signing the Join With the AKC to Protect Responsible Small Breeders petition before July 16 when the public comment period to the Animal Care Division of the USDA's Animal Plant and Health Inspection Service ends. The petition, along with AKC's comments on the proposed rule change, will be sent to the USDA.
How to Sign:
- Visit www.akc.org/petition and click "Sign Here Now!"
- Read through Join With the AKC to Protect Responsible Small Breeders and click the blue box titled "Sign the Petition."
- Complete the required fields — name, email, city and state. You can also leave a comment if you wish. We recommend you check the "Signature Display" box so that your name is displayed rather than an anonymous signature.
- After filling out those fields, click the blue "Sign" button.
- Once you are finished you'll have the option to share the petition via email, Facebook, Twitter and your blog. Please take a moment to share it with your fellow fanciers, club members, and friends who support responsible breeders.
Thank you for your support.
Please forward this email to your fellow fanciers, club members and friends who support responsible breeders.
If you have any questions or comments regarding the petition or the proposed rule change, please contact our Government Relations Department at 919-816-3720 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Chairman of the Board
American Kennel Club